Monday, July 19, 2010

Bittersweet

At 3am Katie and I say our rushed goodbyes as Katie runs through the security line to board her plane to NYC ready to get to work after our successful time in Uganda. After a layover in Nairobi I am back on yet another plane bound for Mt. Kilimanjaro International Airport. As the plane is landing over fields spotted with Masaai natives herding their cattle I am grinning ear to ear. The last week in Uganda has been amazing, I cannot express how full my heart felt after being introduced to so many people and beginning to understand the experience Katie had there 3 years ago. It was sad to leave Uganda, the people, and of course Katie but I was also terribly excited to return to Tanzania after 2 years away. I was met at the airport by the Orphanage and school Director Ally with a large SUV for my bags (which would take another 24 hours to arrive...grrr). Back at the orphanage and school much had changed, new buildings, new children, new people managing the facilities, but many of the smiling faces that greeted me were the same. I was pummeled with hugs, even the children who had not met me before were caught up in the excitement.

The next day at school, I quickly learned I have my work cut out for me while I am here. The teachers have somewhat taken advantage of the almost constant flow of volunteers. Instead of teaching lessons themselves they pass the responsibilities to volunteers and dissapear. Unfortunately, many volunteers are not certified teachers nor do they understand the lesson plans and many children are falling behind. As the school is a primary school I was very concerned that the children would not be ready for secondary school when the time came, negating any help that MMCF might be able to offer. I am currently on a mission to get things straightend out and will be meeting with Ally tomorrow to voice my concerns. Time will tell...

1 comment: